Oct 31, 2011

The Three Musketeers (2011)

Running Time: 110 minutes.
Media: Cinematic Release.

This version of the Alexandre Dumas père classic has actually failed somewhat to appeal to most movie critics such as myself, and I can see why... Don't get me wrong, there's action, and more action, and more action on top... Though it seems that what Paul W. S. Anderson, the director has done was taken the original story by Dumas, spun a lot of black outfits on the title namesake cast, and threw in a lot of steampunk elements into it, and called it a "film". I don't know if I can call it that.

The Three Musketeers calls for a lot of suspension of disbelief whenever certain steampunk references are used; the super-duper crossbows, the airships, and so forth, all make you wonder whether this could ever possibly happen in 18th century France and England; or whether this was some warped alternate dimension. The title cast are all virtually unknowns to me, leaving actors like the vivacious Milla Jovovich playing Milady de Winter, and the ever typecast Christoph Waltz to play Cardinal Richelieu, to grace our screens and remind us that this is not one of those independent films that you would find stashed away in the back of the DVD drawer. The only real star of the movie is Orlando Bloom who (knowingly and intentionally) hams up every scene he appears in and defies our logic on top of this by walking around in heels.

Yes, it does adhere to the original storyline (somewhat), but aside from this Paul Anderson's decisions that led to this film being released as what I saw this past Saturday are somewhat deserving of the 3.9 out of 10 rating received on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm inclined to agree with them here. To be honest, the film's previous remake in 1993, starring Kiefer Sutherland, Charlie Sheen, Oliver Platt and Chris O'Donnell gave this version a considerable kick in the ass in comparison.

What's surprising here is that the way this film ended gave the possibility that there may be a continuation of this movie in a sequel... I highly doubt this could happen given how schmaltzy this movie was... I'm giving it the lowest rating I've ever given so far, and that's two-and-a-half stars; though I have a feeling I'm being fairly kind there...

No comments:

Post a Comment