Dec 16, 2011

My Name Is Bruce

I don't mind the occasional Bruce Campbell movie... Army of Darkness is one of my favorites. My Name Is Bruce, sadly, is not one of my favorites... And I'll tell you why, although the movie has its moments, they're far and few between and the movie itself is a spoof on so many levels you forget that there was meant to be a plot line.

To be honest, I'm not sure how seriously I'm meant to take this movie... I have a feeling that this was deliberately done to spoof the number of schlocky B-grade films that have starred Bruce; and to be honest, I think I may be right. Bruce intentionally take the piss out of his own movie career and throws some even crappier fake movies on top of this to really upstage it.

This movie actually reminds me of ¡The Three Amigos! in plot line in many ways:

1) There is a main antagonist who is terrorizing a town;
2) The worried townspeople take solace in the heroes (protagonists) who appear to be the heroes they need to rid themselves of the antagonist; and bring the heroes to the town;
3) The heroes believe this is all meant to be a movie or production of some sort, only to find out that it's all real and there is a possible risk of harm or death to themselves, to then back-pedal out of the town as fast as they can;
4) The heroes get a change of heart when they realize how much everyone who had faith in them now despise them, in particular a possible love interest;
5) An unusual plan is hatched with the aid of some townspeople;
6) The antagonist is vanquished, resulting in the hero regaining the trust and respect of the townspeople.
Those who have seen both of these movies will immediately see the resemblance, and possibly similar links to those of other movies...

I have to give Bruce a little credit here, he's pulled out all stops to take the piss out of himself and still get away with it... there's a few clichés here and there that seem to crop up in such spoofs and although the humor comes in hot and fast, it kinda leaves you flat towards the middle of the film. I want to give it a 1 star rating, but I'd honestly be a bit harsh by doing so. It deserves double this amount, only for the sheer courage that Bruce has found to mock himself, and still get away with something that still ranks above the average on IMDb. For thoswe playing at home, at the time of writing this review IMDb had this movie registered at 6.4 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment