Nov 29, 2011

He's Just Not That Into You

Okay, my first rom-com review, woohoo! I don't normally do rom-coms, but I sat through this entire film one night on the telly and couldn't stop watching.

Nine people from Baltimore go through the trials and tribulations of love. It's a bit of a tangled web that's weaved. Let's go through the list of names here in the cast...

Let's see, Jennifer Aniston, she's like the queen of rom-coms and ever gorgeous... Scarlett Johansson who basically plays an absolute minx in this film... I kinda swooned in the scenes where she's present.Drew Barrymore, she's a little... laid back in this film; which could be explained by the fact that she also produced the film and so did not want too much attention drawn to her, and more focused on the other characters in the cast. Jennifer Connelly who seems a little older than the others, she seems like more of a 40-something than a 30-something in this film... No offence to Ms Connelly, don't get me wrong, I absolutely love her in the film, but she seems to strike me more as a more mature-age actor nowadays, her youth and potential that she displayed in Labyrinth all those years ago is no longer at its peak. And then there's the irrepressively cute-as-a-button Ginnifer Goodwin, she kinda made me feel good to be watching this film... I kinda felt I was seeing myself in Justin Long's shoes in this film... Bradley Cooper, Kevin Connolly and Ben Affleck finish off the ensemble.

So they're all trying to figure out who's into whom, whether one couple will work out or not... In the end there's a few people who get together, there's a few that don't... But all in all, it made me feel good about myself after watching this film... No sense spoiling it for anyone, you need to see it in order to truly appreciate this film.

There's one thing that stops me from giving this film a 5 star rating, and that's the compulsive paranoia of Jennifer Connelly's character... obsessing more on the honesty of hubby Bradley Cooper's cigarette habit than the honesty of their relationship; and then there's that "older" persona that she seems to ooze... Now here's a quick bit of math, Jen Connelly is 40 now, which means she was 38 when she made the film... But she still seemed to give an over-40's vibe in the film... far much more than Jen Aniston who ironically, was 40 when she made the film and yet gave a mid-30's vibe to her character... So I'm going to give it 4½ stars, and while it is just a ti-i-i-i-i-i-ny bit off because of the Jen-Con factor, this will definitely be in the near future part of my DVD collection as a re-watchable film over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment